The functionalities of the GNOME desktop environment can be expanded with the installation of Ubuntu GNOME extensions. These are plugins written and submitted by normal users and developers that seek to improve the desktop environment and want to share their extension with other users. In this tutorial, you will learn how to install Gnome Shell Extensions on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Desktop.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install Ubuntu gnome extensions
- How to install Gnome shell add-on integration with Firefox browser
- How to install Gnome shell host connector
- How to enable Gnome extensions
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish|
|Software||GNOME desktop environment, GNOME shell extensions|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
|Conventions||# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
Ubuntu Gnome extension installation step by step instructions
- First we will be installing extra in-house Ubuntu extensions for Ubuntu 22.04 desktop. To do so open a command line terminal and execute the following commands:
$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install gnome-shell-extensions
- Re-login from your Ubuntu desktop in order for the new software to have an effect.
- Open up newly installed Extensions application and enable any desired Gnome extensions.
- To install other extensions via Gnome extensions first we need to install GNOME Shell integration add-on. Open up our Firefox browser and navigate to GNOME Shell integration add-on for Firefox page. Once ready click on
Add to Firefox
Google Chrome or Chromium Browser?
For Google Chrome or Chromium browser please install the following GNOME Shell integration add-on.
- Before we can install any additional extensions we first need to configure Gnome shell host connector. To do so execute the following Linux command:
$ sudo apt install chrome-gnome-shell
Failing this step will result in
Although GNOME Shell integration extension is running, native host connector is not detected. Refer documentation for instructions about installing connectorerror message.
- Now we are ready to install GNOME Shell extensions. Open you Firefox browser and click on the GNOME extension icon.
- Search for and select an extension you wish to install.
- Flip the provided switch to install the desired extension.
After this step you should see the extension on your desktop enabled and ready for configuration.
In this tutorial, we saw how to install the GNOME extensions tool and then install user submitted plugins from the GNOME extensions website. GNOME extensions are a very handy way to extend the functionality of your Ubuntu 22.04 desktop.