MATLAB is a computing environment and programming language developed by MathWorks. It offers matrix manipulations, plotting of functions and data and more. This article will provide the reader with step by step instructions on how to install Matlab on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to download MATLAB
- How to unzip MATLAB installation package
- How to install MATLAB
- How to create MATLAB launcher shortcut
- How to run MATLAB
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
How to install MATLAB on Ubuntu 22.04 step by step instructions
- The first thing we need to do is Head over to the the official Matlab website and download the latest MATLAB installation package.
- Once ready the MATLAB installation package should be located within your
~/Downloadsdirectory unless you manually selected a different location to download to.
- The next step is to unzip the downloaded MATLAB package. To do so execute the following command from within your
Downloadsdirectory. Update the package name where appropriate:
$ mkdir matlab $ unzip -q matlab_R2022a_glnxa64.zip -d matlab
- Now we are ready to begin the MATLAB installation. First, create an installation destination directory
$ sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/MATLAB/R2022a/
Next, navigate to the the
matlabdirectory and begin the installation by execution of the following commands:
$ cd matlab $ sudo ./install
- At the first prompt you will need to log in with your MATLAB account.
- Accept license agreement to proceed.
- Select your license or enter an activation key.
- Confirm your user and email are correct and then click Next to proceed.
- If you followed this guide from the beginning, leave the default path as the one that has been created for the destination of our Matlab install. That is
- Select which MATLAB products you want to install.
Create symbolic links to MATLAB scripts. Unless you know what you are doing, leave the default
/usr/local/bindestination directory in the field.
- MATLAB will give you a summary of the installation. Click on “Begin installation” to start it.
- MATLAB installation will likely take a few minutes.
- After the installation finishes up, we will create a shortcut launcher for an easy Matlab application start. While still in the terminal execute the following Linux commands:
- Optionally, use a text editor and edit
/usr/share/applications/matlab.desktopto reflect your Matlab version number.
$ sudo nano /usr/share/applications/matlab.desktop
- Search your
Activitiesmenu for the matlab keyword. Start Matlab by clicking on its icon.
Follow LinuxConfig.org on Twitter for the latest tips and tricks about Linux!
- All done. Matlab installation on Ubuntu 22.04 is completed.
- All that remains, is to remove the Matlab’s installation file and the temporary directory:
$ rm ~/Downloads/matlab_R2022a_glnxa64.zip $ rm -fr ~/Downloads/matlab
In this tutorial, we saw how to install MATLAB on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux. We also learned how to create a MATLAB shortcut so you can open it easily in the future. Now you can use MATLAB to start a new project or import an existing one.