The objective is to install the NVIDIA drivers on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux. This article will discuss three methods of Nvidia driver installation in the following order:
- Automatic Install using standard Ubuntu Repository
- Automatic Install using PPA repository to install Nvidia Beta drivers
- Manual Install using the Official nvidia.com driver
To install Nvidia driver on other Linux distributions, follow our Nvidia Linux Driver guide.
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Operating System||Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux|
|Software||Existing Desktop installation such as GNOME, KDE etc.|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
Other Versions of this Tutorial
Automatic Install using standard Ubuntu Repository
The first method is the easiest to perform and in most cases it is the recommended approach.
- First, detect the model of your nvidia graphic card and the recommended driver. To do so execute:
$ ubuntu-drivers devices == /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 == modalias : pci:v000010DEd00001180sv00001458sd0000353Cbc03sc00i00 vendor : NVIDIA Corporation model : GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] driver : nvidia-304 - distro non-free driver : nvidia-340 - distro non-free driver : nvidia-390 - distro non-free recommended driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin == cpu-microcode.py == driver : intel-microcode - distro free
If you agree with the recommendation feel free to use
ubuntu-driverscommand again to install all recommended drivers:
$ sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
Alternatively, install desired driver selectively using the
aptcommand. For example:
$ sudo apt install nvidia-340
- Once the installation is concluded, reboot your system and you are done.
From the above output we can conclude that the current system has
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphic card installed and the recommend driver to install is
Automatic Install using PPA repository to install Nvidia Beta drivers
graphics-drivers PPA repository allows us to install bleeding edge Nvidia beta drivers at the risk of unstable system.
- To proceed first add the
ppa:graphics-drivers/pparepository into your system:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa $ sudo apt update
- Next, identify your graphic card model and recommended driver:
$ ubuntu-drivers devices == /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 == modalias : pci:v000010DEd00001C03sv00001043sd000085ABbc03sc00i00 vendor : NVIDIA Corporation model : GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] driver : nvidia-driver-390 - third-party free driver : nvidia-driver-410 - third-party free recommended driver : nvidia-driver-396 - third-party free driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin
- Same as with the above standard Ubuntu repository example, either install all recommended drivers automatically:
$ sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
or selectively using the
$ sudo apt install nvidia-410
- Once done, reboot your system.
Manual Install using the Official Nvidia.com driver
- Identify your NVIDIA VGA card.The below commands will allow you to identify your Nvidia card model:
$ lshw -numeric -C display or $ lspci -vnn | grep VGA
- Download the Official Nvidia Driver.
Using your web browser navigate to the official Nvidia website and download an appropriate driver for your Nvidia graphic card. Save the file into your home directory. Example:
$ ls NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-410.73.bin
- Install Prerequisites. The following prerequisites are required to compile and install Nvidia driver:
$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 $ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install build-essential libc6:i386 libglvnd-dev pkg-config
- Next step is to disable the default nouveau Nvidia driver. Follow this guide on how to disable the default Nouveau Nvidia driver.
- Make sure you reboot your system before you proceed to the next step.
- In order to install new Nvidia driver we need to stop the current display server. The easiest way to do this is to change into runlevel 3 using the
telinitcommand. After executing the following linux command the display server will stop, therefore make sure you save all your current work ( if any ) before you proceed:
$ sudo telinit 3
CTRL+ALT+F1and login with your username and password to open a new TTY1 session.
To start installation of Nvidia driver execute the following linux command and follow the wizard:
$ sudo bash NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-410.73.bin
You now need to Accept License and follow the wizard to completed the installation. You man also be asked questions like:
The distribution-provided pre-install script failed! Are you sure you want to continue? -> CONTINUE INSTALLATION Would you like to run the nvidia-xconfig utility? -> YES
The Nvidia driver is now installed.
- Reboot your system:
$ sudo reboot
- Configure NVIDIA X Server Settings.
After reboot you should be able to start NVIDIA X Server Settings app from the Activities menu.
WARNING: Unable to find suitable destination to install 32-bit compatibility libraries
Depending on your needs, this can be safely ignored. However, if you wish to install steam game platform this issue cannot be ignored. To resolve execute:
$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 $ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install libc6:i386
and re-run the nvidia driver installation.