The purpose of this tutorial is to install VMware Workstation PRO on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux. Then, you can set up virtual machines with VMware Workstation Pro on a single physical machine and use them simultaneously with the actual machine.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install VMware Workstation prerequisites
- How to download VMware Workstation
- How to install VMware Workstation
- How to start VMware Workstation
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish|
|Software||VMware Workstation PRO for Linux|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
Install VMware Workstation on Ubuntu 22.04 step by step instructions
- First, download the VMware Workstation PRO for Linux bundle. Navigate your browser to the official WMvare Workstation download page and download the installation bundle.
- Next, open a command line terminal and install the necessary prerequisites with the following
$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install build-essential
- Locate the previously downloaded VMware Workstation PRO for Linux bundle file (likely inside your
~/Downloadsdirectory) and begin the installation with the following command. Please note that the file name might be different than the one seen in this command:
$ sudo bash VMware-Workstation-Full-16.2.1-18811642.x86_64.bundle
- Be patient as we wait for the installation to finish, which could take a few minutes.
- When the initial installation has finished, you will need a few additional kernel modules, which can be installed by executing the following command in terminal:
$ sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
- After the installation has finished, you can use the
Activitiesmenu to start VMware Workstation PRO.
- Accept VMware Workstation Licenses and follow the post-installation wizard.
- Choose trial or enter license key for VMware Workstation Pro.
- Enter your password. Your user must have root permissions to proceed with the installation.
- All done.
Virtualization is a great way to maintain a test environment or separate system from your host operating system. In this tutorial, we saw how to install VMware Workstation Pro on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux. You can now use VMware to install and test other operating systems or environments, including any Linux distro, Windows, BSD, and MacOS.