The VirtualBox Guest Additions consist of device drivers that allow for better screen resolution and mouse integration. They will optimize your operating system with respect to its performance and usability. In this tutorial we will be installing the Virtualbox Guest Additions on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa Linux.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install Virtualbox guest additions.
- How to check Virtualbox guest additions installation.
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used
|Installed Ubuntu 20.04 or upgraded Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa
|Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
Installing Virtualbox guest additions on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa step by step instructions
- The easiest way to install Virtualbox guest additions on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa is to install the following packages from the standard Ubuntu repository:
$ sudo add-apt-repository multiverse $ sudo apt install virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-x11
- All done. Reboot your virtual machine:
$ sudo reboot
- Confirm the Virtualbox guest additions:
lsmod | grep vbox vboxsf 81920 0 vboxguest 344064 6 vboxsf