In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install Virtualbox guest additions compilation prerequisites.
- How to mount Virtualbox guest additions ISO image.
- How to execute Virtualbox guest additions compilation and installation.
- How to check Virtualbox guest additions installation.
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||RHEL 8 / CentOS 8 Linux|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the |
|Conventions|| # - requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of |
Virtualbox: install guest additions on RHEL 8 / CentOS 8 step by step instructions
- Install all packages required for VirtualBox guest addition compilation. Open the terminal window and execute the following command:
# dnf install tar bzip2 kernel-devel-$(uname -r) kernel-headers perl gcc make elfutils-libelf-devel
- Insert Virtualbox guest additions ISO image
Use the latest Virtualbox Guest addition CD image if possible. The ISO supplied with your VirtualBox may be outdated which might result in compilation errors. I have tested VBoxGuestAdditions version
5.2.23which worked great so aim for
5.2.23or higher. Use the following link to download the latest Virtualbox Guest addition ISO image.
- Compile and install Virtualbox guest additions. Once you insert the Virtualbox Guest addition ISO image the window may pop-up. You can hit the
Runbutton to begin the installation.
- Reboot your system to enable the Virtualbox guest additions.
- Confirm that Virtualbox guest additions are installed and loaded:
# lsmod | grep vbox
The UAF Geophysical Institute, is looking for an experienced Linux Systems Analyst to join their team of research cyber infrastructure analysts and engineers. LOCATION: Fairbanks, Alaska, USA
$ cd /run/media/`whoami`/VB*Change to the
rootuser and begin installation:
$ su # ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.runif successful you should see the following output:
Installing additional modules ... VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules. This may take a while. VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until the system is restarted VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.