The purpose of this tutorial is to show how to remote desktop into Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish from Windows.
This will save the user from having to get up and go to their Ubuntu 22.04 computer any time that they need to access it. Instead, you will simply be able to remote desktop into Ubuntu 22.04 from Windows and it will be as if you are sitting at the other computer.
In this tutorial we will be sharing an Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish desktop with a Windows 10 client.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to share desktop on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish
- How to open Windows 10 client
- How to remotely connect to Ubuntu Desktop share
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish, Windows 10|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
Ubuntu 22.04 Remote Desktop from Windows 10 step by step instructions
- First step is to install Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) server
xrdpon the Ubuntu 22.04 desktop. To do so execute the following commands:
$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install xrdp
- Enable to start after reboot and run the remote desktop sharing server
$ sudo systemctl enable --now xrdp
- Still on the Ubuntu 22.04 desktop, open a firewall port
3389for an incoming traffic:
$ sudo ufw allow from any to any port 3389 proto tcp
- Move to Windows 10 host and open the Remote Desktop Connection client. Use the search box to search for
remotekeyword and click on the
- Enter the Ubuntu’s remote desktop share IP address or hostname. Optionally, allow the Windows 10 to save your credentials.
Yeswhen prompted by message:
The identity of the remote computer cannot be verified.
- Enter the password of the remote Ubuntu user.
- You should now be remotely connected to the Ubuntu Desktop share from your Windows 10 computer.
In this tutorial, we saw how to configure a remote desktop connection from Windows 10 into Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish. Since Windows uses the RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) for screen sharing sessions, it’s as simple as installing a compatible RDP client on Ubuntu, which happens to be
xrdp in this case. Now you can enjoy the convenience of RDP across two totally different operating systems.
Troubleshooting Remote Desktop into Ubuntu 22.04 from Windows
Xrdp Black Screen
From time to time I have received a black screen after initiating the remote connection to the Xrdp Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) server. Although I’m not sure how to completely resolve this issue but logging out from the Ubuntu desktop prior to making a remote connection have solved it at least temporarily. If you have a better fix for this what seems to be a bug please let us know using the comments below.