FTP and SFTP are great protocols for downloading files from a remote or local server, or uploading files onto the server. FTP will suffice for some situations, but for connections over the internet, SFTP is recommended. In other words, FTP is not secure to use over an internet connection, since your credentials and data are transmitted without encryption. The ‘S’ in SFTP stands for ‘Secure’ and tunnels the FTP protocol through SSH, providing the encryption needed to establish a secure connection.
In this guide, we’ll go over the step by step instructions to setup an FTP server through VSFTP software or SFTP server through OpenSSH on AlmaLinux. Then, we’ll see how to connect to the server from a client AlmaLinux system. Setting up FTP/SFTP is a common step after installing AlmaLinux or migrating from CentOS to AlmaLinux.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to setup an FTP server through VSFTPD
- How to setup an SFTP server through OpenSSH
- How to setup FTP and SFTP user accounts
- How to allow FTP and SFTP through firewalld
- How to connect to an FTP/SFTP server via command line
- How to connect to an FTP/SFTP server via GNOME GUI