The objective of this tutorial is to install VMware tools on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Linux VMware virtual machine.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install VMware tools
- How to check whether VMware tools are loaded
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Installed Ubuntu 20.04 or upgraded Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
Install VMware tools on Ubuntu 20.04 step by step instructions
- The chances are that the VMware tools are already installed in your Ubuntu 20.04 virtual machine. If this is not the case you can install the VMware tools using the following commands. Select a single command to fit your installation:
# UBUNTU 20.04 SERVER: $ apt install open-vm-tools # UBUNTU 20.04 DESKTOP: $ apt install open-vm-tools-desktop open-vm-tools
- Reboot your Ubuntu 20.04 virtual machine.
- Check for loaded VMware tools modules to confirm the installation:
$ lsmod | grep vmw