dnfcommand to perform the Fedora upgrade via the Linux command line.
In this article you will learn:
- How to update the package index repository on Fedora 28 via GUI.
- How to download Fedora 29 via GUI.
- How to install Fedora 29 via GUI.
- How to upgrade Fedora via the Linux command line.
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# - requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
How to upgrade to Fedora 29 via graphical user interface step by step instructions
- The Fedora 28 system should notify you when the system upgrade to Fedora 29 is available. In the case you cannot see the upgrade message, open the Software application and let the system update the package index repository.
- See notifications to start Fedora upgrade process.
- Click download. This might take some time. The system will update your current system and download new Fedora 29 upgrade packages.
- Nothing to do in this step. Just sit back and wait.
Installbutton to start installation of Fedora 29 packages.
- Enter administrative password for your
Restart & Install. The system will reboot and perform the actual Fedora upgrade.
- Wait for the upgrade process to finish. The system will be automatically rebooted to the upgraded Fedora 29 workstation.
- Login to newly upgraded Fedora 29.
How to upgrade to Fedora 29 via command line step by step instructionsFollow the below steps in case you prefer the command line upgrade.
- Fully update your current Fedora 28 system:
$ sudo dnf upgrade --refresh
- In case you have a concern regarding the free disk space, optionally remove all cached packages to free up some additional disk space:
$ sudo dnf clean all
dnf-plugin-system-upgradeto allow Fedora upgrade using the
dnfcommand line tool:
$ sudo dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade
Download and upgrade the Fedora 29 packages:
$ sudo dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=29Below is an output of a successful Fedora 28 to 29 download:
Before you continue ensure that your system is fully upgraded by running "dnf --refresh upgrade". Do you want to continue [y/N]: y Transaction Summary ==================================================================================================================================================== Install 63 Packages Upgrade 1521 Packages Downgrade 69 Packages Total download size: 1.5 G DNF will only download packages, install gpg keys, and check the transaction. Is this ok [y/N]: Complete! Download complete! Use 'dnf system-upgrade reboot' to start the upgrade. To remove cached metadata and transaction use 'dnf system-upgrade clean' The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction. You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
- Perform the actual Fedora 28 to Fedora 29 upgrade:
$ sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot
- Once the upgrade is completed the system should automatically reboot to newly upgraded Fedora 29 workstation.