The objective of this article is to provide an Ubuntu user with a few alternative ways how to restart / refresh GUI (graphical user interface) on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to restart GUI
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Installed Ubuntu 20.04 or upgraded Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
How to restart GUI on Ubuntu 20.04 step by step instructions
Sometimes you many need to restart/reload GUI because you may have done some changes which require it. However, occasionally you are forced to restart GUI because it froze and you do not wish to restart the entire system. In any case you might find some of the bellow information helpful.
- The first method is the least destructing, however, it might not provide the expected result.
- Another alternative to do the GUI restart trick might be the most obvious to simply re-login.
- In this scenario we simply restart the
gnome-shellas non-privileged user.
- The following restart GUI solution is guaranteed to restart your desktop even if your GUI froze while the system is still functioning. However, it needs administrative
- In this method we will restart the Display Manager which will consequently also restart GNOME shell.