In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to restart GUI
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Installed or upgraded Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the |
|Conventions|| # - requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of |
How to restart GUI on Ubuntu 20.04 step by step instructionsSometimes you many need to restart/reload GUI because you may have done some changes which require it. However, occasionally you are forced to restart the GUI because it froze and you do not wish to restart the entire system. In any case you might find some of the bellow information helpful.
- The first method is the least destructing. However might not provide the expected result.
- Another alternative to do the GUI restart trick might be the most obvious to simply re-login.
- In this scenario we simply restart the
gnome-shellas non-privileged user.
- The following restart GUI solution is guaranteed to restart your desktop even if your GUI froze while the system is still functioning. However, it needs administrative
- In this method we will restart the Display Manager which will consequently also restart GNOME shell.