The objective is to install VMware Workstation PRO on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Linux. Then, you can set up virtual machines with VMware Workstation Pro on a single physical machine and use them simultaneously with the actual machine.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install VMware Workstation prerequisites
- How to download VMware Workstation
- How to install VMware Workstation
- How to start VMware Workstation
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Installed Ubuntu 20.04 or upgraded Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa|
|Software||VMware Workstation PRO for Linux|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
Install VMware Workstation on Ubuntu 20.04 step by step instructions
- First, download the VMware Workstation PRO for Linux bundle.
- Install prerequisites. Open up your terminal and execute:
$ sudo apt install build-essential
- Locate the previously downloaded VMware Workstation PRO for Linux bundle file and begin the installation. Please note that the file name might be different:
$ sudo bash VMware-Workstation-Full-15.5.1-15018445.x86_64.bundle
- Be patient. Wait for the installation to finish.
Activitiesto start VMware Workstation PRO.
- Accept Licenses.
- Select an user to be able to connect to the Workstation server.
- Shared virtual machines directory configuration.
- Select server connection port.
- Choose trial or enter license key
- Almost there.