In this How to install Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows 10 tutorial you will learn:
- How to run PowerShell as an Administrator.
- How to enable the Windows subsystem for Linux component.
- How to find Ubuntu 18.04 app in Microsoft Store.
- How to launch Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows 10.
- How to create an initial user on Ubuntu 18.04 running on Windows 10.
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||MS Windows 10|
|Other||Privileged access to your Windows 10 system as administrator|
How to install Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows 10 step by step
- Enable Windows subsystem for Linux component.
In the search box below type
powershell. Wait for results to appear and once ready right click on
Windows PowerShelland select the
Run as administratoroption.
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
Make sure that you have saved all your unsaved work progress as you are about to restart your computer.
Installing, this may take a few minutes... WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x8007019e The Windows Subsystem for Linux optional component is not enabled. Please enable it and try again. See https://aka.ms/wslinstall for details.
- Search for the
ubuntuinto the below search box and select
Ubuntu 18.04 LTSapplication.
- Download the Ubuntu 18.04 application.
Getbutton. This will download the Ubuntu 18.04 application from the Microsoft store.
- Launch Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows 10.
Launchbutton to start the Ubuntu 18.04 application.
- Wait for Installation of Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows 10 to finish.
- Create an initial user with administrative privileges.
All what remains is to create a new user. Once the installation is completed you will be prompted to enter a username for a new Ubuntu 18.04 user.
linuxconfigfollowed by a new password and retype of the new password.
Be aware that while you are entering your password the characters will not be visible. Simply keep typing.