The GNOME Tweaks tool allows users to configure a bunch of cosmetic and behavior in the GNOME desktop environment. It can be installed on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish and used to customize things like the top bar, quick launch toolbar, etc.
GNOME Tweaks grants us more control over our GUI than what is available by default in GNOME settings. You will be able to edit fonts, title bar clicking actions, workspace settings, and much more.
In this tutorial, you will learn how to install GNOME Tweaks on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish. You will also see how to open the application so you can begin customizing your GNOME desktop environment.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install Gnome Tweaks Tool
- How to open the Gnome Tweaks Tool
- How to install additional GNOME tweak extensions
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish|
|Software||GNOME Tweaks Tool|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
How to install Tweak Tool on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish step by step instructions
- The first step is to open a command line terminal and make sure that we have the universe repository enabled on our Ubuntu 22.04 system:
$ sudo add-apt-repository universe
- Once ready, execute the following command to install Tweak Tool on your Ubuntu 22.04 system:
$ sudo apt install gnome-tweaks
- Use the Activities menu and search for
tweakkeyword to start the Tweak Tool. Alternatively, execute the below command:
- Optionally, you may now install additional extensions to further tweak your system. Search for available gnome shell extensions:
$ apt search gnome-shell-extension
Next, either install only selected extensions for example:
$ sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-gsconnect
or install all extensions:
$ sudo apt install $(apt search gnome-shell-extension | grep ^gnome | cut -d / -f1)
In this tutorial, we learned how to install the GNOME Tweaks tool in Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux. This is an essential tool for all GNOME users, which grants us the types of settings that one would think would be available in GNOME by default.