The purpose of this tutorial is to install PyCharm on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux.
PyCharm is a graphical IDE (integrated development environment) that can be installed on Ubuntu Desktop. Many Python programmers enjoy using PyCharm because it can be used to analyze code, debug programs, and is integrated with Git and other version control systems, as well as web development applications.
Follow along with the steps below if you’d like to try PyCharm on Ubuntu 22.04 for your Python programming needs.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install PyCharm on Ubuntu from command line
- How to install PyCharm on Ubuntu using graphical user interface
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
Install PyCharm on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish step by step instructions
Install PyCharm Ubuntu from command line
- Start by opening a command line terminal and executing one of the below
snapcommands. Select your preferred version to install:
$ sudo snap install pycharm-community --classic OR $ sudo snap install pycharm-professional --classic OR $ sudo snap install pycharm-educational --classic
- You can start PyCharm by searching for it within the Activities menu or by simply using the corresponding command below:
$ pycharm-community OR $ pycharm-professional OR $ pycharm-educational
Install PyCharm using graphical user interface
- Use top left
Activitiesmenu to open the
- Search for
pycharmapplication. Select your preferred PyCharm version to install.
- To install PyCharm Ubuntu, press the
- Enter your username and password. Your user needs to have root permissions to install new software.
- Start the PyCharm application. Follow the wizard to perform the initial settings.
- At this point you should be ready to start a new project or import your existing project.
In case you receive the following error message during the PyCharm loading:
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'distutils.core'
you may fix this issue by installation of the
python3-distutils package using the following command:
$ sudo apt-get install python3-distutils
In this tutorial, we saw how to install PyCharm on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux. Using the Snap package manager to install the PyCharm IDE means that the program will stay up to date automatically. Hopefully you find this free software to be a suitable environment for your Python coding.