At this point the Pantheon desktop is not a part of the standard Ubuntu repository. However, it can be easily installed by enabling the official ElementaryOS PPA repository within the Ubuntu 18.04 system.
In this How to install Pantheon desktop on Ubuntu tutorial you will learn
- How to add the ElementaryOS PPA repository.
- How to install the Pantheon desktop on Ubuntu 18.04.
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the |
|Conventions|| # - requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of |
How to install Pantheon desktop on Ubuntu 18.04 Linux Desktop
- Add the ElementaryOS PPA repository:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:elementary-os/stable
- Begin the Pantheon Desktop installation
- Select default display manager. Pantheon desktop will attempt to install
lightdmas a default display manager.
- Reboot your system.
- Select default desktop environment as Pantheon desktop.
- Enter user credentials and login:
- Upon successful login, you should now be greeted with the Pantheon desktop environment. Enjoy!
$ sudo apt install elementary-desktop