Although Linux isn't always known for its stellar support of video games, Minecraft has a Linux version available and runs great on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa. In this guide, we'll show you how to download and install Minecraft to get you up and playing in no time.In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to download and install Minecraft.deb
- How to launch Minecraft
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Installed Ubuntu 20.04 or upgraded Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the |
|Conventions|| # - requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of |
Download and install Minecraft
To install Minecraft, we'll have to download and install a DEB file from Minecraft's official website. Follow these step by step instructions to do just that:
- First, open a terminal and use
wgetto download the official Minecraft package. This command will download the package to your user's home directory:
$ wget -O ~/Minecraft.deb https://launcher.mojang.com/download/Minecraft.deb
- The DEB file is pretty small and should only take a few moments to download. Once it's done, we need to install it. We'd recommend using
gdebi, which makes installation of DEB files very easy. But first, make sure the
gdebicommand is available on your system:
$ sudo apt install gdebi-core
gdebiinstalled, we are ready to install the
Minecraft.debfile with this command:
$ sudo gdebi ~/Minecraft.deb
- The nice thing about
gdebi, and our reason for recommending it in the first place, is that it will automatically install all of the dependencies that Minecraft requires in order to install. If some required packages aren't already on your system, you'll get a list of what
gdebiplans to install. Just hit
yat the prompt to carry on with the installation.
- When the installation finishes, you'll be able to find Minecraft in Ubuntu's application launcher. Just type 'Minecraft' in the search box to find it quickly.
- Next, login with your Minecraft account or sign up for a new one if you need to.
- Now you're ready to download the game files. If you haven't already bought the game, you'll have the opportunity to play the demo version to see how it runs on your system and if you enjoy it enough to purchase. After purchasing, you'll be able to keep using the Minecraft launcher to open the game anytime you want to play.
- Click on
Play Demoto start the download.
- Minecraft is ready to go! Click
Play Demo Worldto get started playing.
How to open Minecraft launcher
For future reference, there are two methods for opening the Minecraft launcher when you want to play again in the future.
- The first method is to find the Minecraft launcher in Ubuntu's application menu.
- Alternatively, you could open a terminal and just type
minecraft-launcherto access the Minecraft launcher.
In this article, we learned how to download and install Minecraft on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa. Minecraft is a popular game that runs on many platforms, and Linux is no exception. Following the steps in this article allowed you to install Minecraft and its necessary dependencies. We also saw a couple methods for accessing the Minecraft launcher.