By default, Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish sports the GNOME desktop environment, or no GUI at all in the server edition. If you would like to change things up and install Mate instead, the GUI can be downloaded and installed directly from Ubuntu’s package repositories.
This can be done whether you are switching from GNOME to Mate, or you currently are running command line interface only and wish to install a graphical desktop environment. Mate is a great choice that comes with all the tools you will need to administrate your Ubuntu system.
In this tutorial, we will go through the step by step instructions to install the Mate GUI desktop environment on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install
- How to install MATE desktop
- How to switch to lightdm display manager
- How to login to MATE desktop
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish|
|Software||tasksel, MATE desktop|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
Install MATE desktop on Ubuntu 22.04 step by step instructions
- We will be using the
taskselcommand to install MATE desktop GUI. In case the
taskselcommand is not available on your system you can install it with these commands:
$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install tasksel
- Execute the following command to begin the MATE desktop installation, depending on which package you wish to install. The
ubuntu-mate-desktoppackage will come with more MATE apps installed by default and the
ubuntu-mate-coreis lighter with less software.
$ sudo tasksel install ubuntu-mate-desktop OR $ sudo tasksel install ubuntu-mate-core
- If you already have GNOME installed, you should receive a notification during MATE installation to let you know that you will now have multiple display managers installed. If you want Ubuntu 22.04 to boot into MATE desktop by default, then you will need to set your default display manager to
lightdmwhen the prompt appears. Use TAB to select
lightdm`and hit the ok button.
- After installation, you can reboot your Ubuntu 22.04 system to load into the MATE desktop environment.
- At the login screen, select Desktop session as Mate. Then you can login and begin using your newly installed MATE desktop environment.
In this tutorial, we saw how to install the MATE desktop environment GUI on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux. MATE is a speedy and responsive desktop environment, which comes loaded with a lot of its own applications to make your system administration that much easier. Ubuntu 22.04 and MATE desktop is a great combination that you are sure to enjoy – many will find they like it a lot better than the default GNOME environment on Ubuntu.