By default, Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish sports the GNOME desktop environment, or no GUI at all in the server edition. If you would like to change things up and install KDE Plasma instead, the GUI can be downloaded and installed directly from Ubuntu’s package repositories.
This can be done whether you are switching from GNOME to KDE Plasma, or you currently are running command line interface only and wish to install a graphical desktop environment. KDE Plasma is a great choice that comes with all the tools you will need to administrate your Ubuntu system.
In this tutorial, we will go through the step by step instructions to install the KDE Plasma GUI desktop environment on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install
- How to install KDE plasma desktop
- How to switch to SDDM display manager
- How to login to KDE plasma desktop
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
Install KDE plasma desktop on Ubuntu 22.04 step by step instructions
- We will be using the
taskselcommand to install KDE plasma desktop. In case the
taskselcommand is not available on your system you can install it by:
$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install tasksel
- Execute the following command to begin the KDE Plasma desktop installation, depending on which package you wish to install. The
kubuntu-fullpackage will come with more KDE apps installed by default.
$ sudo tasksel install kubuntu-desktop OR $ sudo tasksel install kubuntu-full
- If you already have GNOME installed, you should receive a notification during KDE installation to let you know that you will now have multiple display managers installed. If you want Ubuntu 22.04 to boot into KDE Plasma by default, then you will need to set your default display manager to
sddmwhen the prompt appears. Use TAB to select sddm and hit ok button.
- After installation, you can reboot your Ubuntu 22.04 system to load into the KDE Plasma desktop environment.
- At the login screen, select Desktop session as
Plasma. Then you can login and begin using your newly installed KDE desktop environment.
In this tutorial, we saw how to install the KDE Plasma desktop environment GUI on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux. KDE is a speedy and responsive desktop environment, which comes loaded with a lot of its own applications, such as the Dolphin file manager, to make your system administration that much easier. Ubuntu 22.04 and KDE Plasma is a great combination that you are sure to enjoy – I personally like it a lot better than the default GNOME environment on Ubuntu.