IntelliJ IDEA is a free Java IDE that can be installed on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish. It is developed by JetBrains and has both a free community edition and a commercial edition.
In this tutorial, we will take you through the step by step instructions to install the IntelliJ IDEA Java IDEA on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish, via both command line and GUI. Then, you can use it to import your current Java projects or develop new ones.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install IntelliJ IDEA from command line
- How to install IntelliJ IDEA using graphical user interface
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
IntelliJ IDEA installation on Ubuntu 22.04 step by step instructions
Install IntelliJ IDEA from command line
- Start by opening a command line terminal and executing the below Snap command. Select your preferred version to install:
$ sudo snap install intellij-idea-community --classic OR $ sudo snap install intellij-idea-ultimate --classic OR $ sudo snap install intellij-idea-educational --classic
- You can start the IntelliJ IDEA software by using the below command that corresponds to your edition:
$ intellij-idea-community OR $ intellij-idea-ultimate OR $ intellij-idea-educational
Install IntelliJ IDEA using graphical user interface
- Start by opening the top left
Activitiesmenu to open the
- In the Ubuntu Software application, search for the intellij application. Select your preferred IntelliJ IDEA version to install.
- To begin the installation press the
- Enter your username and password. Your user needs to belong to sudo administrative group.
- Start the IntelliJ IDEA application by opening it from the Activities. Follow the wizard to perform the initial settings.
- At this point you should be ready to start a new project or import your existing project.
In this tutorial, we saw how to install the IntelliJ IDEA Java IDE on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux. Using the Snap package manager to install the IntelliJ IDEA Java IDE means that the program will stay up to date automatically. Hopefully you find this free software to be a suitable environment for your Java coding.