In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install Ubuntu gnome extensions
- How to install Gnome shell add-on integration with Firefox browser
- How to install Gnome shell host connector
- How to enable Gnome extensions
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Installed or upgraded Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa|
|Software||GNOME Shell 3.34.1 or higher|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# - requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
Install Gnome Shell Extensions on Ubuntu 20.04 step by step instructions
- First we will be installing extra in-house Ubuntu extensions for Ubuntu 20.04 desktop. To do so execute the following command from your terminal:
$ sudo apt install gnome-shell-extensions
- Re-login from your Ubuntu desktop.
- Open up GNOME tweaks and enable any desired Gnome extensions.
- To install other extensions via Gnome extensions first we need to install GNOME Shell integration add-on.
Google Chrome or Chromium Browser?
For Google Chrome or Chromium browser please install the following GNOME Shell integration add-on.
Before we can install any additional extensions we first need to configure Gnome shell host connector. To do so execute the following Linux command:
$ sudo apt install chrome-gnome-shellFailing this step will result in Although GNOME Shell integration extension is running, native host connector is not detected. Refer documentation for instructions about installing connector error message.
- Now we are ready to install GNOME Shell extension.