In this How to install Gnome Desktop on Manjaro 18 Linux tutorial you will learn:
- How to install Gnome Desktop on Manjaro 18.
- How to switch to Gnome Desktop on Manjaro 18.
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Manjaro Linux 18|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the |
|Conventions|| # - requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of |
How to install GNOME Desktop on Manjaro 18 Linux step by step instructions
- Open up the terminal. How to open terminal depends on your installed desktop environment. On the default
- Update the package repository index:
$ sudo pacman -Syy
- Install GNOME packages by executing the
$ sudo pacman -S gnome-extra gdm manjaro-gnome-assets manjaro-gdm-theme manjaro-settings-managerWhen prompted press
ENTERto install all members or selectively choose by entering relevant GNOME extra member number. Recommended action is to install all.
manjaro-gnome-settingswill be in conflict with your current desktop settings. Answer
ywhen prompted to remove current Manjaro settings.
- Once the GNOME desktop installation is completed switch to the native GNOME display manager GDM by executing the following command:
$ sudo systemctl -f enable gdm.service
- Reboot your Manjaro 18 Linux system
- If you have auto-login enabled log out and select the
GNOMEdesktop as your default Manjaro Linux desktop environment.
- Enter login credentials and press the
Sign Inbutton. You should now be welcomed by the GHOME desktop.