If you prefer GNOME over Xfce or are just looking for a change of scenery, it's quite simple to switch desktop environments on Kali. In this guide, we'll walk you through the steps to install the GNOME desktop environment on Kali Linux.In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install GNOME desktop on Kali Linux
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|Software||GNOME desktop environment|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the |
|Conventions|| # - requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of |
Install GNOME Desktop Environment
Follow the step by step instructions to install GNOME and learn how to switch between Xfce and GNOME desktop environments once both are installed. We'll also see how to remove Xfce completely, in case you want to make a permanent switch to GNOME.
- Open a terminal and type the following commands to install GNOME.
$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install kali-desktop-gnome
- If you receive a notification that asks you what display manager to use, select
gdm3, as that is the display manager for GNOME.
- Installation may take some time, as many packages and their dependencies will have to be downloaded and installed. But once installation has completed, reboot the computer.
- When Kali finishes loading back up, you'll be presented with the option to select GNOME or Xfce from the login screen (note that you must first select your user).
- If you like GNOME so much that you want to get rid of Xfce completely, which will get rid of the option to select it from the login screen, execute the following commands in terminal. The second command will remove any lingering packages that were part of Xfce.
$ sudo apt remove kali-desktop-xfce xfce4* lightdm* $ sudo apt autoremove
That's all there is to it. Now, you can use GNOME on your system, and optionally remove Xfce if you don't intend to use it again. After installing or removing a GUI, make sure you reboot for all the changes to take effect.
In this guide, we saw how to install the GNOME desktop environment on Kali Linux. We also saw how to remove Xfce from the system, which isn't necessary if you want to switch between the two environments sometimes. Kali makes it easy to install new desktop environments by having all related software neatly packaged into a single download.