The Firefox comes pre-installed on RHEL 8 / CentOS 8. In this tutorial you will learn how to install a latest Firefox browser directly from Mozilla repository.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install latest Firefox on RHEL 8 / CentOS 8 workstation
- How to backup existing Firefox installation and exclude form updating
- How to start Firefox browser
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||RHEL 8 / CentOS 8|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
How to install latest Firefox browser on RHEL 8 / CentOS 8 step by step instructions
- Download and extract the latest Firefox browser.
Copy the entire command below and execute as a root user or with
# wget -O- "https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest-ssl&os=linux64&lang=en-US" | tar -jx -C /usr/local/
- Backup the existing
This step is optional but highly recommended in case you might wish to revert to Redhat stock Firefox version.
# mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/backup_firefox
- Exclude Firefox browser from updating:
# echo "exclude=firefox" >> /etc/dnf/dnf.conf
- Create a symlink to a newly downloaded
- Start the latest Firefox browser from GUI menu or by executing the
# ln -s /usr/local/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
Note if you need to upgrade your Firefox browser once again simply execute the download and extract command as part fo the