Discord is an application for text, image, video and audio communication, which was developed for video gaming communities. Discord runs on various Linux distributions of your choice and, in particular, on Ubuntu 22.04. The objective of this guide is to install Discord, the gamer’s chat platform, on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install Discord with Snap on Ubuntu 22.04
- How to install Discord via direct download
- How to launch Discrod
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
How to install Discord on Ubuntu 22.04 step by step instructions
You can either install Discord on Ubuntu 22.04 through the Snap package manager or direct download from the official website. Both are covered below, so use whichever method you prefer.
Install Discord using Snap
The easiest way to install Discord on Ubuntu 22.04 is by using snap. Open a command line terminal and type the following command to install it.
$ sudo snap install discord
Install Discord from the official package
- Install all prerequisites needed to perform the Discord installation:
$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install gdebi-core wget
- Download the official Discord debian package (all Ubuntu versions are based on Debian):
$ wget -O ~/discord.deb "https://discordapp.com/api/download?platform=linux&format=deb"
- Install the previously downloaded package by using the
$ sudo gdebi ~/discord.deb
- Start Discord either by searching for the application name in the Activities menu or be executing the following command:
- Discord may download updates your first time opening the application. It will always check for new updates whenever you start up the application.
In this tutorial, we saw how to install Discord on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux. This can be done through a variety of methods, including the Snap package manager or direct download from the official website. Now you can get started with texting, voice calls, video calls, and streaming with your friends and gaming buddies.