The objective of this tutorial is to install Adobe Acrobat Reader on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish.
Since Ubuntu does not have a native way to open PDF documents by default, users will need to install Adobe Acrobat Reader for Linux, or some other program capable of opening the documents.
The advantage of Acrobat Reader, of course, is that it’s the official program and recommended for reading PDF documents in the way they are intended.
Please note that Adobe no longer supports Acrobat Reader for Linux. The latest native Linux version is 9.5.5 dated from 26/04/2013. From this reason you should refrain using/installing Adobe Acrobat Reader to avoid potential vulnerabilities and hacker exploits. You are recommended to consider installation of Adobe Acrobat Reader on Wine.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to install Adobe Acrobat Reader prerequisites
- How to download Adobe Acrobat Reader
- How to install Adobe Acrobat Reader
- How to start Adobe Acrobat Reader
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish|
|Software||Adobe Acrobat Reader|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
Install Adobe Acrobat Reader on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux step by step instructions
- To download Adobe Acrobat Reader open a command line terminal and enter the following command:
$ wget -O ~/adobe.deb ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/9.x/9.5.5/enu/AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb
- Next, enable
$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 $ sudo apt update
- Install all prerequisites:
$ sudo apt install libxml2:i386 libcanberra-gtk-module:i386 gtk2-engines-murrine:i386 libatk-adaptor:i386 libgdk-pixbuf-xlib-2.0-0:i386
- Now, we are ready to install the actual Adobe Acrobat Reader package downloaded previously:
$ sudo dpkg -i ~/adobe.deb
- To start the Adobe Acrobat Reader use the activities menu to search for
adobeand click on the relevant icon:
- You must accept the terms and conditions in order to use the program.
- Alternatively, you can start the Adobe Acrobat Reader on Ubuntu 20.04 from the command line:
In this tutorial, we saw how to install Adobe Acrobat Reader on Ubuntu Linux 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish. The program can now be used to open PDF documents on your system.