If you have an ISO file, such as Linux installation media, it is possible to create a DVD media from the file. In this tutorial, you will learn how to burn an ISO image to DVD using Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux desktop.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to burn ISO to DVD from a graphical user interface on Ubuntu 22.04
- How to install Brasero ISO burning application
- How to check the content of burned DVD
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
Ubuntu 22.04 Burn ISO to DVD step by step instructions
- Check your system to see whether it supports DVD burning. Start by opening a command line terminal and then executing the below command:
$ cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info
Your system should have at least one hardware device which supports DVD write. Check the output and look for
Can write DVD-R. The integer
1means that the DVD write is supported.
- Next, download the ISO image you wish to burn. As an example, in this tutorial, we will burn downloaded Ubuntu 22.04 ISO image.
- Next, execute the following
aptcommands to install an application called Brasero, which we will be using to burn our DVD.
$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install brasero
- Insert blank DVD and use the File Manager to locate the ISO image you wish to burn to DVD. Right click on the ISO image file and select
Open With Brasero.
- Select the blank DVD to write the ISO image to. Once ready hit the
It may take some time for the system to search and detect the inserted blank DVD. In my case I had to wait 1-2 minutes for the Brasero to find compatible DVD disk. If anything, this seems to me like a minor software bug.
- Wait for Brasero to burn the ISO image to DVD, then you can use file manager to check the content of your freshly burned DVD disc.
In this tutorial, you saw how to burn an ISO image file to DVD on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish Linux. This was faciliated with use of the Brasero application, although many other ISO image burners exist. They all work about the same and you can use any you wish. This allows you to create Ubuntu 22.04 installation media or other type of discs.