In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to set root password
- How to configure GDM to allow root gui login
- How to configure PAM to allow root gui login
Software Requirements and Conventions Used
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Installed or upgraded Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the |
|Conventions|| # - requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of |
Allow GUI root login on Ubuntu 20.04 step by step instructions
- First step is to set root password:
$ sudo passwdThe above command will set a root password which will be later user to login to GUI.
- Next, step is to edit the
/etc/gdm3/custom.confGDM configuration file to allow root login.
- Next, edit PAM authentication daemon configuration file
/etc/pam.d/gdm-passwordand comment line which denies root access to graphical user interface.
To do so edit file
#in from of the line containing:
auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet_success
- All done. Reboot your Ubuntu system.