In this guide, we are going to show you how to change your keyboard layout in Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish. This will allow you to access the characters of another language and enable switching between multiple keyboards if you would like.
In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to add and delete keyboard layouts
- How to switch between languages with your mouse
- How to switch between languages with a keyboard shortcut
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish|
|Software||GNOME desktop environment|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# – requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
$ – requires given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user
How to add a new keyboard layout on Ubuntu 22.04 step by step instructions
- First, open the applications launcher and open the
Settingsmenu. You can locate it quickly by just typing
Settingsinto the search bar.
- Now that the settings menu is open, find the
Keyboardsection along the left side, and click it.
- Click on the
+plus sign to add a new keyboard layout. And then, to see the full selection of languages, expand the choices by clicking on the three dots.
- If you do not see your desired language listed here, click on
Otherat the bottom of the
Add an input sourcewindow. It is probably fastest to just type the language you are looking for. In this example, we are adding a Portuguese keyboard layout:
- Select the keyboard you would like to add and click the
- You should now see that your selected keyboard layout has been added. Before exiting the settings window, you can add more additional keyboards if you would like, or delete existing ones by clicking on the trash bin icon next to each layout in the list.
Switching between keyboard layouts
If you have multiple keyboard layouts enabled on your system, a selection menu will appear in the upper right hand corner of your screen. Click on the icon at any time to select a different keyboard.
For even faster switching between keyboards, you can use the
WIN + SPACE keyboard shortcut. This saves you from having to take your hands off the keyboard to grab the mouse and select a different language every time that you need to switch.
In this tutorial, we learned how to add and delete languages in our keyboard layout in Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish. We also saw how to switch between those languages, both with the mouse and a handy keyboard shortcut.