In this guide, we're going to show you how to change your keyboard layout in Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa. This will allow you to access the characters of another language and enable switching between multiple keyboards if you'd like.In this tutorial you will learn:
- How to add and delete keyboard layouts
- How to switch between languages with your mouse
- How to switch between languages with a keyboard shortcut
|Category||Requirements, Conventions or Software Version Used|
|System||Installed Ubuntu 20.04 or upgraded Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa|
|Software||GNOME desktop environment|
|Other||Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the
# - requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of
Adding a new keyboard layout
- First, open the applications launcher and open the
Settingsmenu. You can locate it quickly by just typing
Settingsinto the search bar.
- Now that the settings menu is open, find
Region & Languagealong the left side, and click it.
- Click on the
+plus sign to add a new keyboard layout. And then, to see the full selection of languages, expand the choices by clicking on the three dots.
- If you don't see your desired language listed here, click on
Otherat the bottom of the
Add an input sourcewindow. It's probably fastest to just type the language you're looking for. In this example, we're adding a Portuguese keyboard layout:
- Select the keyboard you'd like to add and click the
- You should now see that your selected keyboard layout has been added. Before exiting the settings, you can add more additional keyboards if you'd like, or delete existing ones by clicking on the trash bin icon next to each layout in the list.
Switching between keyboard layouts
If you have multiple keyboard layouts enabled on your system, a selection menu will appear in the upper right hand corner of your screen. Click on the icon at any time to select a different keyboard.
For even faster switching between keyboards, you can use the
WIN+SPACE keyboard shortcut. This saves you from having to take your hands off the keyboard and select a different language every time that you need to switch.
In this guide, we learned how to add and delete languages in our keyboard layout in Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa. We also saw how to switch between those languages, both with the mouse and a handy keyboard shortcut.