cat – concatenate files and print on the standard output
cat [OPTION] [FILE]…
Concatenate FILE(s), or standard input, to standard output.
- -A, –show-all
- equivalent to -vET
- number nonempty output lines
- equivalent to -vE
- -E, –show-ends
- display $ at end of each line
- -n, –number
- number all output lines
- -s, –squeeze-blank
- suppress repeated empty output lines
- equivalent to -vT
- -T, –show-tabs
- display TAB characters as ^I
- -v, –show-nonprinting
- use ^ and M- notation, except for LFD and TAB
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.
- cat f – g
- Output f’s contents, then standard input, then g’s contents.
- Copy standard input to standard output.
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman.
Report bugs to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Copyright © 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html >
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
The full documentation for cat is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cat programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info cat
should give you access to the complete manual.